Sunday, August 29, 2010

(Much too) base camp

Trail less well defined, narrower, gnarly with roots and rocks, and steeper (whew!) -- Emil Zatopek returns (the great Czech long distance runner who looked to be in agony every step but always won his races!) but after about six hours I did make it to the base camp (I think: no signs or anything except a big open space, a fork between two streams):




and where was that one other solo hiker who had signed in & wrote he was going up The Brothers, too?

Oh well, freeze dried lasagna, peach zinger tea and a little Yukon Jack in my lukewarm instant coffee -- ahh, an early night sleeping under the stars and now I know why everyone brings tents even in good weather cuz little scampering creatures kept scrambling onto my tarp and away again, looking for food or sumpin’.


No comments:

Post a Comment