Sunday, August 29, 2010

the great fall

I was taking it easy, figuring I could reconnect with the less steep trail to the right but then I got up to look and, whoops, it’s a sheer drop on that side -- oh no -- and to the left, same thing, and christ, I can’t go back up the way I came, that’s too scary, what am I gonna do now? The cliff above me is even steeper so that’s not an option...and there hasn’t been any cellphone reception anywhere on this trail (believe me, I’ve tried!) so I can’t even call for help....

Ack, it’s now about 3, no time to ponder and get colder feet, there IS some small vegetation growing to the left, I can only hope this continues down, so I start clambering down this, then I hear a tiny avalanche of scree to my left, look over, and wow! it’s another hiker! “Hey! Do you think this is a good way to go?” and he quickly reassures me, yes, that looks fine, there’s plenty of handholds, so I keep going, but it seems to get harder and I’m even wearier, reach the end of the small evergreens, hanging by my hands, can’t find a foothold, oh well, here goes nothing and drop..........

about 10 feet at least onto hard rock, owwwwww, first onto my right ankle then onto my butt....

It hurts quite a bit, but I can move -- this hiker, Greg,


then joins me, quickly assesses the situation, pulls out some ibuprofen for me, finds a walking cane, and becomes my savior and guardian angel!! He had been going back and forth under the ridge I was on, looking for the way up and had pretty much given up but also was a saint to descend at my super slow pace and help me out, leading me to ice water for my ankle (already very bruised and swollen) and showing where I could simply slide down the scree and ice without falling off another cliff!! I wrench my ankle 2 more times in excruciating pain but know I have to continue & do -- sheesh, this trail down would be hard with 2 good legs! And now I have to count on my always-quite-atrophied left leg to bear the major weight, hoping that my always-near-dislocated left knee doesn’t also snap! Greg -- a super fit triathlon veteran -- doesn’t ever show the slightest frustration or aggravation at how I’m slowing him down but then does disappear for long time ahead -- oh well, that’s okay, I can’t lose the trail now...and then he reappears minus his pack but with a headlamp: he had gone all the way down to base camp, dropped off his stuff and came back with flashlight worried that I might have to finish the day walking in the dark -- what a saint!!

But we do make it down by about 7:45pm -- one other solo hiker also gave up after trying several routes -- so a dandy 12+ hours of hiking for the day, whewwwwwwwwww

No comments:

Post a Comment